With a busy December, it seems that 2014 is rushing to its end. The last month of 2014 has some critical updates that you absolutely shouldn’t ignore (in fact, they are all cannot be unheard of).
Let’s sit down and take a look back at the biggest events happened in both WordPress and WooCommerce.
WordPress 4.1 “Dinah” released
To many WordPress developers and users, WordPress latest version 4.1 is a pleasing release with many major updates, especially with the new default theme Twenty Fifteen.
The official new features are:
- New default theme: Twenty Fifteen with the text-focused appearance and easy-to-read typography
- New distraction-free editor with hiding/showing elements around it on mouse-moving
- New user login management helps you to control where you can log in or log out from right in your profile
- Finer export functionality to support users with better control of what they want to export: categories, authors, postswith specific date range.
- Plugin recommendations to provide providessome other popular plugins you might want to use for your website.
- More languages to choose: 44 languages and there will be more.
- Embedding videos from Vine so you can both post an embed code of Vine video in your post text editor and post the video link from Vine.
- Inline image editing to give users a quick and easy way to align an image or edit it
Besides, WordPress 4.1 also includes more than 20 new dashicons:
You can check out the details changes with our WordPress 4.1 infographic here: (With Infographic) Welcome to WordPress 4.1 “Dinah” and Its New Features
WooCommerce 2.3 with promising changes
In my previous monthly digest, there will be important changes to the frontend design in WooCommerce. In the recent updates from WooThemes, there will be coupon changes in WooCommerce 2.3 too.
In 2.3, the coupons will always be applied before tax when someone orders anything from a store running with WooCommerce. This change is applied since:
“Apply discounts after taxes is not legal. Discounts must be always applied before taxes, is the law, not user preference. Apply discounts after taxes is not legal. Discounts must be always applied before taxes, is the law, not user preference.”
So, both theme and plugin developers should aware of this removal of the option to apply a coupon after tax.
Latest release: WooCommerce iOS 1.1.2
As updated from Skyverge, in WooCommerce iOS version 1.1.1, the problem with phone number formatting was fixed.
And to continue with the improvement, the patch for server incompatibilities with some hosts which prevent updating order statuses was already fixed too.
You can download the latest version on App Store now.
What do you think?
It’s a nice way to end 2014 with such feel-good updates and promising changes in the next year 2015, isn’t it? I bet that many of you guys are on New Year Holiday already. Okay, we need some recharging and let’s come back even stronger for another restless year with WordPress and WooCommerce!
Goodbye 2014. Hello 2015!
Did I miss any big news here? What do you think I should add in our monthly digest? Feel free to help us keep things updated better for you!